Ankarana National Park (formerly Special Reserve) presents a fantastic landscape, with its expanses of razor-sharp pinnacles (tsingy). The 35km-long limestone massif is pierced by caves and canyons, and, between sheer cliffs, sunken moist deciduous forests harbour rare wildlife. The reserve contains ten species of lemur, with large concentrations of Crowned, Sanford’s and vociferous sportive lemurs.
Other mammals present include Madagascar striped civet, tenrecs, fosa – and at least 13 species of bat. The 54 endemic birds include Crested coua, White-breasted mesite and Blue vanga. Of the island’s tsingy plateaus, Ankarana is by far the most rewarding for wildlife enthusiasts and also, the most accessible. ??
One km from the Mahamasina Gate at Ankarana Est, Ankarana Lodge offers comfortable accommodation with the the added attraction of being a rewarding site for nocturnal wildlife. Lemurs, chameleons and other wildlife inhabit the area around the lodge.
Nearer to the spectacular Ankarana Ouest – an area noted particularly for its awe- inspiring caves and the imposing 'grand tsingy' formations – is Iharana Bush Camp, a true 'bush camp' renowned for its creative design. Note that while Ankarana Est is accessible year-round, Ankarana Ouest can be reached only from May to November.
- Aye ayes and Ruffed lemurs at Le Palmarium
- Indri, Diademed Sifaka and various nocturnal Lemurs in Andasibe-Mantadia
- Fosa, Fork-marked lemurs and Baobabs at Kirindy
- Leaftailed geckoes and chameleons at Montagne d'Ambre
Situated about 16 km from the town Ambilobe (about 5 - 6 hours drive from Diego Suarez or 3 - 4 hours from Ankify) Iharana Bush Camp has 18 bungalows with en suite facilities (showers not bath tub).The design reflects a unique crossover between traditional Malagasy and African styling.From the terraces, sunsets are marvelous and views of Ankarana are truly alluring. The kitchen and restaurant cre...
Location:Established by Yorke and Lydia Pareik who have lived in the Diego Suarez region for decades and who have a prodigious knowledge of the region, this comfortable, no-frills, owner-run lodge is close to the Mahamasina Gate at Ankarana Est.From Diego Suarez airport, the drive to Ankarana Lodge will take about 4 hrs,30 min.Rooms:There are 12 bungalows/rooms: 8 of the bungalows are separate/de...
- Luxuriant rainforest at Andasibe-Mantadia National Park
- Tsingy limestone pinnacle-fields and caves at Ankarana
- Rare wildlife including lemurs, chameleons and endemic birds
- Relaxing at remote and secluded Baobab Beach
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours