Kariega Game Reserve is a 9000-hectare private game reserve in the Kariega River Valley in the malaria-free Eastern Cape, close to Grahamstown and only 15 minutes from the beautiful ‘Sunshine Coast’ beaches at Kenton-on-Sea.
The drive from Port Elizabeth takes about 1½ hours, so a safari at Kariega can be a natural extension to your Garden Route holiday.
The reserve is split in two by a road, with dangerous game confined to the west side. On the east side of the reserve, where Ukhozi Lodge and Main Lodge are situated, guided bush walks are offered amongst the game, including giraffe, zebra, eland, wildebeest, vervet monkeys, many other species of antelope and over 250 bird species. On the west side are the Big-Five:
As well as hippo, hyena, and a variety of buck. This part of the reserve is only accessible on escorted game drives.
Other activities on the reserve include game drives, river cruises, canoeing and fishing. You can swim in Kariega's main pool or in the Kariega River, amidst the forest - there are no crocodiles. The expansive, sandy beaches of Kenton-on-Sea, on the 'Sunshine Coast', are just a fifteen-minute drive.
The three properties
There are three different lodges on the Kariega Reserve. Main Lodge is ideal for families. It has spacious, well-equipped and air-conditioned wooden chalets nestling in the bush. The larger chalets have four bedrooms. All chalets have private viewing decks and many have a private pool.
Ukhozi Lodge is a luxury lodge with just ten spacious suites, each with a private viewing deck and plunge pool. There is a very comfortable central lounge and dining area. Children over 10 are welcome here.
River Lodge, a 5-star quality lodge, is the newest addition. Its ten thatched air-conditioned suites enjoy a fabulous setting on the banks of the Bushman’s River.
Apart from the usual game drives, guests can enjoy river activities such as boating and canoeing, fishing and crabbing. The river is tidal, and it is just a short boat trip from River Lodge to the beautiful beaches of Kenton-on-Sea. Children over 10 are welcome.
Tours staying at this accommodation
- Be sure to take a cable car up to the top of Table Mountain
- Taste some amazing wines in Franschhoek
- see some Meerkats up close and personal in Oudtshoorn
- If you're lucky, spot Whales and Dolphins in Plettenberg
- Perfect location on the Victoria And Alfred waterfront
- Thrilling big five game drives
- Children under twelve virtually free!
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours