Here, big cats are the main attraction. Okonjima is the home of the conservation charity, Africat Foundation, and here you can get close to rescued cheetah, leopard, lion and even caracal. The foundation aims to rehabilitate and release as many of the big cats as possible into new locations, and part of the cost of your accommodation directly supports their work. You can spend a day visiting the cats and the visitors centre, to learn more about the valuable work of the foundation.
The Okonjima ranch, comprising four separate properties, was originally owned by the Hanssen family – their family farmhouse was converted into what is now Okonjima Main Camp. Each of the properties offer similar activities. Okonjima Main Camp is a converted farmhouse with six garden rooms and ten newly developed bush rooms, all comfortable and spacious. Three km from Main Camp, the luxurious Bush Camp’s eight African-style chalets and one honeymoon suite provide marvellous views of the bush. Activities include visiting the cheetah project, cheetah tracking on foot, and leopard viewing from the safety of a hide or a gameviewing vehicle. Not far from the Bush camp is Okonjima Bush Suite, ideal for families or a small group, with its two en suite bedrooms, spacious lounge, kitchenette and pool. The suite comes with private chef and ranger.
The larger Okonjima Villa is 10 km away and provides similar exclusivity and facilities, with four en suite bedrooms. Both allow you to ‘make a home away from home’. We recommend a two-night stay at Okonjima, in order to explore the Africat foundation and get some lovely sightings of the big cats.
Tours staying at this accommodation
- Visit the Cheetah conservation project at Okonjima
- Spectacular game viewing around the waterholes in Etosha
- Elusive Rhino and Elephant in the desert at Damaraland
- Climb the highest dunes in Sossusvlei at Sunrise
- Independent travel on the open roads of Namibia
- Superb game viewing in Etosha
- Climb the living dunes in Sossusvlei
- Scour the Skeleton Coast for Shipwrecks
- Visit the Cheetah rehabilitation project at Okonjima
- View some amazing scenery from Damaraland
- Go on a cruise to see the Dolphins and seals from Walvis bay
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours