Antsirabe is a former spa town about 3 hours to the south of Antananarivo. It is the ideal place in which to break the long overland journey between Antananarivo and Ranomafana National Park. The town is known for its craft stalls and semi-precious gem workshops in particular. Touring around Antsirabe in rickshaws is a fun way of seeing the town. The climate is almost temperate. At nearby Ambatolampy you can see some impressive examples of Merina tombs.
- Indris, Verreaux's sifakas, Ringtails and other Lemurs galore!
- Colourful chameleons, geckos and a plethora of tree frogs
- Woolly, Dwarf and Mouse lemurs during night walks
- Mesites, Couas, Ground-rollers, Asities, Vangas and other endemic birds
- Highlands culture: the Merina and Betsileo people
- Rainforest wildlife in Ranomafana and Andasibe-Mantadia National Parks
- The ringtailed lemurs of Anja
- Hiking in spectacular surrounds at Isalo National Park
Couleur Café is the perfect place to break the journey to or from Ranomafana. It ticks all the boxes - great food, friendly service and comfortable, spacious accommodation. Charming, thoughtfully decorated, en- suite rooms (one of which is a family room) are set in cottages laid out in neat, well maintained gardens. Excellent meals are served in the restaurant, which is also enjoyed for its trendy...
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours