Mikea National Park is about 120km north of Tulear (on the coast between Ifaty and Morombe), in the semi-arid south-western region. As such, rainfall here is very low, with precipitation occuring generally only on a few days each February. For the rest of the year, climate is mostly warm to hot, sunny and dry. The original habitat includes extensive areas of dense spiny bush (Euphorbia-didieraceae bush) interspersed with three species of baoababs, notably a stunted version of the largest, Grandidier's baobab. The park covers 184,630 hectares and is named after the mysterious, little known Mikea, among the few remaining people still practising a hunter-gatherer lifestyle. Aside from the otherworldly setting created by the spiny bush and baobab woods, there are miles of quiet, white sand beaches and rewarding sites for snorkelling.
On a beautiful and remote stretch of coastline with sweeping white sand beaches and within close proximity to remarkable Spiny forest with the famed 'stunted' variant of the Grandidier's baobabs, Salary Bay is about 3hrs,30min north of Tulear along a dirt road.The road journey is a fascinating one, taking guests to a part of Madagascar which as yet has not been exposed to the masses. A...
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours