Montagne d’Ambre National Park is a forested volcanic massif in northern Madagascar. It is not part of the eastern rainforest band and, consequently, its floral and faunal communities are somewhat different. The park is also known for its scenic attractions - there are four crater lakes and three waterfalls within its boundaries. It is easy to reach from Antsiranana, and easy to explore.
Montagne d’Ambre National Park protects 18,200ha of mid-altitude montane rainforest lying at altitudes ranging from 850 – 1475 metres. It is remarkable for its bird’s nest ferns, tree ferns and orchids; and the extremely rare and localised 'Rainforest' baobab, Adansonia perrieri, is particularly noteworthy.
Montagne d’Ambre is one of the few Malagasy reserves that can be enjoyed by people with limited mobility. In the dry season, you can drive to the Station de Rousettes, the forestry station and main picnic area, and see the rainforest and some of the creatures that dwell in it. The park has 30km of trails, several of them easy and well-maintained, others overgrown and/or challenging.
People usually see a group or two of Crowned and Sanfords lemur, and a good sample of the park’s floral and wildlife attractions - in the course of a walk near Les Rousettes or to the viewpoint over Grande Cascade waterfall. Montagne d’Ambre is the best place to seek the diurnal Ringtail mongoose (Northern vontsira).
The park has a particularly rich and impressive herpetofauna which includes many species of chameleon, snake, skink and frog. Three of the leaf-tailed geckos, (genus Uroplatus), occur here, as well as at least two Day geckos. Night walks outside the park's periphery can be very rewarding for reptiles, especially.
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours