Belize's most celebrated attraction, especially for those who love diving and snorkelling, must surely be the barrier reef which protects most of the coastline, second only in size to Australia's Great Barrier Reef. A series of islands or Cayes run along Belize's coastline, many of which are inhabited and offer some first-class beach retreats for some laid-back relaxation.
Ambergis Caye is the most northerly and by far the largest of the Cayes. The only town is San Pedro, originally a fishing village but now a bustling tourist centre and the main port for the island. This is a perfect destination for snorkelling, diving, sailing, fishing, windsurfing or simply relaxing on white sands enjoying the beautiful blue waters of the Caribbean. Arrival to the island is best via a short internal flight from Belize City which operate regularly throughout the day.
Scuba diving and snorkelling out on the reef can be arranged easily from any of the Cayes in the north or south. Ambergris Caye has the majority of the most luxurious properties, although accessibility to the famous Blue Hole is better from Turneffe Island in the south, which also specialises in week long dive packages.
For those seeking absolute privacy and seclusion on a holiday to the Cayes, the private island of Cayo Espanto will answer your every need.
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours