Luwi Bush Camp is an intimate, seasonal bush camp on the banks of a permanent lagoon and the most remote of the Norman Carr Safaris camps. Deep in the South Luangwa National Park, Luwi Bush Camp focuses on walking safaris in an area of prolific wildlife.
Luwi has four spacious reed and thatch rooms. Since the camp was built without disturbing the natural environment, each room is individual, its design determined by the tree around which it was constructed. We think they are lovely. Each room has en suite facilities, but only Room 4 has a double bed, so you should book as early as possible if you want it.
There is a small, thatched open-side bar area. During the day, meals are taken in the shade of the enormous mahogany trees; at night, under the star-studded canopy of the African sky.
Luwi is dedicated to walking safaris, to the excitement of tracking wildlife in the bush and observing the details that get blurred from a vehicle. The morning walking safari usually takes three or four hours, returning to camp for brunch.
Luwi looks out on an open grassy plain crossed by wildlife drawn to the lagoon adjacent to camp, so there is usually plenty to watch while you relax after brunch, before you set off on your afternoon walking safari.
Alternatively, your walking safari can take you along the course of the Luwi River (about 3 hrs) to Nsolo Bush Camp. Norman Carr Safaris’ ‘Return to the Wild’ departs from Luwi Bush Camp. Set out from camp and sleep out under the stars in the remote dry bed of the Luwi River, with just a bed roll and a mosquito net (and highly experienced guides and scouts). Up to four people can share the ‘Return to the Wild’ experience. Ask for more information.
Luwi Bush Camp is open from June – October
Tours staying at this accommodation
- Be at one with nature on some of the best walking safaris
- Enjoy accommodation that is really authentic and close to the wildlife
- Guides in Zambia are some of the best in Africa especially when walking
- South Luangwa has some of the best sightings of the Big Cats
- South Luangwa Valley
- Amazing Wildlife sightings
- Walking with professional guides
- Stay At Five Unique Camps
- Game Drives By Open 4X4 Safari Vehicle
- Night Game Drives
- Walking Safari's
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours