Chongwe River Camp is a family-owned and managed safari camp, standing at the confluence of the Chongwe and Zambezi Rivers on the western border of the Lower Zambezi National Park opposite Mana Pools.
This luxury bush camp provides a multiplicity of game viewing experiences, complemented by superb tiger fish angling and majestic views of the rivers and the escarpment to the north.
Chongwe River Camp is an unfenced, comfortable bush camp with eight spacious and well-appointed Mulati tents, each with a great river view. Shaded by thorn trees, the chalets stand under thatch in the midst green lawns.
Each tented room accommodates two people, in twin or double beds. Electric bedside lamps stand beside the bed in case you are woken by the sounds of the wild. Fittings are mostly made of local materials. Each chalet has a huge private open-air bathroom where you can have a hot shower under the stars or in the morning sunshine.
This is a first-rate big game area. At Chongwe River Camp, you can observe game on morning and evening game drives in open safari vehicles or on a motor-boat safari. Guided game walks provide a more intimate experience of the wilderness and the opportunity to savour the space and tranquillity. A canoe safari is an unobtrusive way of encountering big game.
To be honest, you could stay in camp and watch the procession of animals coming to drink at the river, if not roaming through camp. Over 250 bird species have been recorded in the environs of the camp.
In addition, there is fantastic fishing: tiger fish, bream and a variety of catfish. The camp operates a strict catch-and-release policy and provides standard tackle. Serious fly fishermen may wish to bring their own gear.
The menu is really excellent and amazingly varied.
Guests are always amazed by the kitchen team’s ability to prepare such dazzling meals in such a remote location. Meals are al fresco, sometimes in the bush, though the camp will usually provide a private dinner on request.
The camp has comfortable, shaded sitting areas, with lots of cushions, in which to relax, or you can cool off in the pool. The campfire is a magnet for sundowners and tales of the day’s adventures.
Chongwe River Camp is a warm and unpretentious tented camp in a prime wilderness area. The game is first-rate and the guides are excellent. The camp is very comfortable, and the price reflects the absence of the extra bells and whistles.
The relative simplicity of Chongwe River Camp is one of its attractions: it allows you get an genuine, unmediated experience of the bush. For some people, the encounter may be too close for comfort – please discuss it with us.
Want to know more?
Call our Travel Specialists for a chat with our experts. They'll share their first-hand insights so you can find your perfect holiday.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours