The Plettenberg is considered to be the finest hotel on South Africa’s Garden Route. With a magnificent position on a headland overlooking Plettenberg Bay. The Plettenberg provides stylish, airy accommodation, fine dining, and warm service at one the best addresses on the Garden Route.
The Plettenberg has 37 individually decorated and furnished rooms, each reflecting owner Liz McGrath’s design philosophy, with its emphasis on comfort and seclusion. Twenty-one rooms are in the main building, originally a 19th-century seaside mansion; the rest in the Blue Wing across the road, inclusive of the 3 bedroom Lookout Villa and a 2 bedroom Beachhouse
McGrath is a real design enthusiast and feeds her passion by frequent refurbishments of her hotels. The standard rooms are simple and airy, now decorated in white with blue accents. Luxury rooms are larger, under-floor heating, a walk-in shower and a small balcony with different views. The suites and premier suites have a separate sitting room and stunning sea views.
If you are looking for a home from home, or want to enjoy the Plettenberg experience on a family holiday, the two private beach villas are separate and self-contained, with kitchens and dining rooms, living rooms with all the home entertainments and private pools and terraces with knock-out views of Plett's stunning golden beaches.
The SeaFood at The Plettenberg with spectacular views over Formosa Bay, offers sumptuous breakfasts, poolside lunches and a sophisticated dining experience. The modern South African menu with seasonal choices and locally sourced produce is designed by award-winning Executive Chef Peter Tempelhoff and Head Chef Gideon Landman
The sommelier will be pleased to take you on a tour of the wine cellar, with its award-winning wine list; or you can decide to have a private dinner for two among the racks of fine South African wines.
The Plettenberg has a boutique where you will find the best in South African design, and an excellent travel desk to help you make the most of each day. The spa is a tranquil sanctuary providing a steam room, massage and beauty treatments, and Décleor facials. The Sandbar is contemporary in style, relaxed and glamorous.
The Plettenberg has a swimming pool and a lap pool, a delightful seaside lounge, and it’s an easy walk to two of Plett’s best beaches or to the centre of town. It also has a friendly, helpful staff that is hard to beat.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours