Kanonkop Guest House is a small, owner-managed, 5-star retreat situated on Kanonkop Hill, with spectacular, uninterrupted views of the Knysna Lagoon and Heads.
Run by Mark Conyers (the former South African cricketer), his brother and father, this guest house will appeal to the sporting enthusiast. Kanonkop is a corporate member of Fancourt, Pezula and Simola golf estates, so you can play on these magnificent courses at discounted prices.
The family has its own luxury speedboat, perfect for a scenic sunset cruise in the estuary, or, if you’re feeling energetic, both brothers are certified water-ski instructors.
There are four bedrooms. The spacious Paradise suite is the finest. It occupies the entire third floor and has fabulous views. The suite has a king size sleigh bed, and a large bathroom, with glass walk-in shower and oversized elevated bath, with the same breathtaking view. Frommer's South Africa travel guide judges it ‘the best room in Knysna’ and it is a favourite with honeymooners and pleasure-seekers alike.
The Sivuyile and No Matata suites are large and comfortable, and equipped with queen beds. They have double sliding doors opening onto a large sundeck. These rooms have lovely views over the garden and pool and out towards the lagoon. They are furnished to the same level of luxury as the Paradise suite and have satellite TV. There is ample space to add a single bed for those who prefer a twin bed option.
The fourth room, the Sunbird, is a smaller double room, overlooking the gardens, with private bathroom directly across a very quiet narrow passage.
In addition to the golf and water sports, you can take a rod and go fishing, paddle a sea kayak, take a mountain bike and follow one of the cycle routes through the indigenous forest cycle routes.
You can explore the forest on foot, and make a day of it, taking a delicious picnic basket with you, or simply spend your time relaxing in the scenic surroundings beside the salt-water pool. If extreme sports are your thing, there are activities such as quad biking.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours