Hiring a car is one of the best ways to explore the breathtaking scenery on Reunion Island. The roads here are generally in good condition. Unlike its neighbour Mauritius, you drive on the right, as you do in France. Reunion is a French department set in the Indian Ocean with a verdant mountainous centre, impressive active volcano in the east and lovely coralline beaches on the west coast. The mountainous roads can be steep and winding in parts but you are more than repaid by the spectacular views. Traffic can get a little busy at rush hour in the capital and in some of the smaller towns along the road that circumvents the island, but in the main driving is pleasure.
- Beautiful Indian Island scenery
- Exhilarating hikes
- Stunning waterfalls
- Relax on the lagoon
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours