Set in the heart of a rainforest block, Ngaga Camp is small and personal, perfectly located for Gorilla tracking in the Odzala-Kokoua National Park.
The camp consists of only six guest rooms, each with a wrap-around walkway which gives a wonderful experience of being surrounded by the rainforest.
Three of the rooms are located to the left of the area where the office, dining-room, lounge and fire deck are, and another three to the right of the arrivals/reception area.
The property is fronted with a fire deck, lounge, rest room and dining room.
Guests can spend their days tracking and observing the Western lowland gorillas as well as searching for smaller primates such as Putty-nosed and Crowned monkeys.
Because there are less Forest elephants and Forest buffalo around Ngaga than is the case at the other camps, venturing out on foot at night in search of nocturnal wildlife with your guide, is safe. Guests may see Galagos (bushbabies), as well as Potto and Angwantibo - all of these African prosiminans are represented in the area.
Lucky visitors spot Palm civet, various species of Duiker (small forest-dwelling antelopes) and even the critically endangered Tree pangolin. Nocturnal birds include various owls, notably Red-chested owlet. Overhead, keep a lookout for the large Hammer-head bat.
Gorilla tracking is offered daily and is possible largely thanks to tireless work conducted over many years by Dr Magda Bermejo and German Illera. (The population of Lowland gorilla is thought to be around 105 in the extended area, with two of the 7 groups having been habituated.
After gorilla tracking, guests can cool off in the clear, cool and fresh waters of the Ngaga Stream below the camp. Near some natural pools, there is also a wooden deck at the edge of the stream, providing an alternate place to spend the middle of the day.
Tours staying at this accommodation
- Stunningly beautiful equatorial African rainforests
- Tracking Lowland gorillas with expert guides
- Seek out Bongo, Forest elephants, Forest buffalo and other rainforest inhabitants
- Abundant birdlife
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours