Africa has much to offer those interested in holidays with a strong element of cultural experience as well as fascinating historic sites to explore. Ethiopia for example is renowned for its historic castles, monasteries and ancient churches, as well as some of the largest single stone monoliths in the world.
There are many ancient trading towns in East Africa including the World Heritage Site of Lamu Island in Kenya and Zanzibar’s spice capital, Stone Town. The history of the struggle against colonial rule is movingly brought to life in South Africa’s Battlefields in KwaZulu Natal, where local guides retell the stories of the Anglo-Zulu wars. Elsewhere, visitors can visit some of the key sites in South Africa connected with its struggle for freedom from apartheid.
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours