Matemwe Bandas Boutique Hotel is set along Zanzibar’s east coast.
This small boutique hotel offers barefoot luxury at its best. Matemwe Bandas was founded on the principle of fair trade in tourism and an international and local partnership, which employs over 70 local artisans to build, furnish and maintain the property.
The rooms are made from natural materials including Makuti walls (Makuti is an eco friendly thatching building material, made from the naturally drying palm leaves which have already wilted on the palm tree) and thatched roofs. The four beach front rooms have their own veranda leading directly on to the beach and are built on stilted platforms to allow for exceptionally high tides at times. The rooms have four poster beds with mosquito netted with ensuite bathrooms with hot and cold running water. There is also a family room set back from the beach that overlooks the pool.
The restaurant offers excellent food fusion of international and local flavours, predominately using fresh produce sourced from the surrounding local farmers. The swimming pool is set inside the property and offers a private relaxing space. High speed Wi-fi is available throughout the property. Activities here include Zankite, the leading kiting centre on Zanzibar, and a complimentary introductory course is included in your stay here.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours