Fundu Lagoon is a remote and idyllic lodge hidden among the foliage at the edge of a lovely, long stretch of soft, white sand on the southwest coast of the island. Fundu offers some of the finest coral reef diving and snorkelling in the world, fine fishing, and a choice of activities; or the chance to do nothing but soak up the natural beauty of the place, the quiet, and the easy, welcoming ambience.
Accommodation at Fundu
Sandy paths and wooden walkways lead to 18 thatched, tented rooms and suites, all built on stilts, with a view of the ocean and the tropical sunset. There are eight hillside rooms and four beachfront rooms. Two very stylish suites have plunge pools, extended sundecks and indoor and outdoor seating areas. The four superior suites are especially spacious.
Meals are inspired by fine local produce and served in a variety of locations: on the jetty, the beach, on Mesali Island – or in the restaurant. The standard is high and the servings more than generous. The weekly Swahili night is an extravagant buffet, and locally-caught fish and seafood feature at the beach barbecue.
Activities at Fundu Lagoon
Fundu’s dive centre is a PADI 5- star Golden Palm resort, with three dive instructors and a dive master to enable you to discover the beauty of this pristine underwater world. Sailing trips can be arranged to the nearby marine sanctuary at Mesali island and to the fabulous coral reefs. Other activities include fishing, kayaking, village walks and island excursions.
You can happily spend a week at Fundu Lagoon and it's a place to which people return.
Alternatively, you could contrast a stay at Fundu with a few days at the far north of the island, with Mnemba or with time in Zanzibar. Other possibilities include combining a holiday at Fundu with a safari in Tanzania or Kenya, or with climbing Kilimanjaro.
Tours staying at this accommodation
- Remote and exclusive accommodation
- Search for the famous tree climbing Lions in the Selous
- Barefoot luxury at the remote and intimate Fundu Lagoon
- Free night included
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours