The meaning of the word 'Mchenja' is ebony, so it is fitting that this elegant tented camp is located underneath the shade of impressive ebony trees on the banks of the Luangwa River.
The camp comprises five octagonal tents with open air en-suite bathrooms featuring roll top claw foot bath tubs and views of the sweeping bend in the Luangwa River.
A hearty brunch is served in the main lounge, where you can enjoy views across the river and a cooling dip in the camp's plunge pool.
At Mchenja you can enjoy walking safaris or safari by open air game viewing vehicles, night game drives are often very rewarding. As evening falls enjoy chatting to fellow travellers about the days activities and game viewing and dining under the star lit sky by the banks of the river.
Tours staying at this accommodation
- South Luangwa Valley
- Amazing Wildlife sightings
- Walking with professional guides
- Stay At Five Unique Camps
- Game Drives By Open 4X4 Safari Vehicle
- Night Game Drives
- Walking Safari's
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours