The Rongai Route begins on the northern side of the mountain and is one of the least travelled paths.
There is a longer drive to the starting point, just south of the Kenya-Tanzania border; but you will be rewarded by the fantastic views and the likelihood that you will be among the only climbers.
It really does retain a sense of untouched wilderness.
The Rongai Route has a relatively gentle gradient and the daily stages are short. It is particularly well suited to people who do not deem themselves super-fit. The route wends its way through farmland and forest, past alpine moorland to the beautiful summit cone, before descending along the Marangu Route. The views are magnificent, capped by the glaciers and ice cliffs of the summit and extending across the East African plains far below.
Tours staying at this accommodation
- Test your endurance and climb to the summit of Kilimanjaro
- you will be accompanied by experienced, knowledgeable guides.
- end off on the pristine relaxing beaches of the exotic spice island of Zanzibar
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours