Northeast of Cape Town is the Breede River Valley, the largest of the Western Cape’s wine and fruit producing valleys.
In the heart of this area, and dominated by precipitous red and ochre cliffs, the Victorian spa town of Montagu makes an interesting stop on the way to the Garden Route.
We suggest a night or two at the very comfortable Mimosa Lodge where you will find a friendly welcome and superb home cooking. The owner is also a chef and he specialises in local produce – dishes such as Karoo lamb infused with fynbos flavours.
They grow most of their vegetables.
There is plenty to do here – walks & hikes, mountain bikes, outdoor art, spa, hot springs, horse-riding, tractor & donkey rides, abseiling, helicopter flips, village market, fishing, quad biking and a variety of other sporting facilities.
Things to do around the valley include 48 wineries offering complimentary tastings in the Roberson Wine Valley, Olive tours & tastings, Nature drives, cheese shops, 4x4 routes, river cruises & rafting, picnics on the wine estates, bird park, galleries and art studios, farm tours, rock climbing, maze and cactus gardens and historical walks and tours.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours