The Oyster Box was built in 1954. The original Oyster Box was a well-known and much loved resort hotel in a great location by the beach and lighthouse at Umhlanga, just two minutes from the village centre.
Fifty years later it was past its prime and the decision was taken to totally rebuild. The new Oyster Box hotel opened in late 2009 and the current owners have gone to great lengths to retain the original character, style and charm, while introducing modern technology and green initiatives.
Today this is a stylish and gracious 5-star hotel, adorned with art and antiques, as well as every modern convenience and three restaurants. There is a wide range of room types, to suit all needs, and all are splendidly equipped.
Tours staying at this accommodation
- Hike and explore the magical Drakensburg
- Delve in the history of the Battlefields
- Cruise on the Pongola River
- Search for big game in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Discover the immense Drakensburg
- search for big five in Hluhluwe
- Visit historic battlefields
- relax in luxury at Oysterbox hotel
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours