Best Time To Visit
When to go
The best time to go to Sierra Leone is in the dry season, which runs from October to May. January and February tend to be the hottest months. Birders will find December or January most rewarding. Travel is possible in June and late September although there will be heavy down pours and rural roads can become very muddy.
Brussels Airlines and Air France operate regular flights from London Heathrow and selected other UK airports (via Brussels and Paris respectively) to Freetown.
GMT +0 hours
Visas (April 2019 update)
A single entry visa for British citizens currently costs US$100 including the service fee and must be obtained in advance of travel. The easiest way to obtain a visa is through Visit Sierra Leone - here is the link for the application form:
On receipt of payment and the completed application form, you will be emailed a receipt and scan of the visa. Present these on arrival in Lungi Airport, where your passport will be stamped.
Additionally, it is now mandatory to submit your information on the link https://travel.gov.sl
Securipas/Securiport fee: the Sierra Leone government recently levied a US$25 ‘Securipass/Securiport’ fee, which must be settled both in advance of travel through www.securipass.sl and again before leaving Sierra Leone. In the event that you require assistance with the Securipass payment before leaving the country, our representatives Visit Sierra Leone can assist you with making the payment while you’re in-country. We must emphasise that you are responsible for ensuring your passport and visa are in order.
Visitors should have a yellow fever certificate and take precautions against malaria. Always consult your doctor at least six weeks before travel and refer to this useful NHS website for details of recommended vaccinations for your destination. Always drink bottled water which is widely available from bars, hotels and guest houses.
Free from mass-market hotels and minibus tourism, Sierra Leone remains an unspoilt corner of Africa. Those seeking 5-star hotels should definitely look elsewhere, but if you would rather swap tales with your local guides over a barbeque during a light adventure, this is the place to visit. Rainbow Tours is proud to be the first major UK tour operator to have started offering holidays to this beautiful and inspirational destination. We'd love to tell you all about travels in Sierra Leone, so do get in touch if you'd like to find out more.
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours