A good choice of accommodation for those who visit Nyungwe Forest National Park is the family/owner run Emeraude Kivu Resort at Kamembe, near Cyangugu. (About 45 min from the Gisakura area).
The hotel is on the top of a hill from where there is a panoramic view over Lake Kivu. Each of the 8 rooms has en-suite facilities and a private balcony with lake view. The service is of high quality and the food is excellent. (April 2017 inspection).
Cyangugu, where the resort is located, is near Cyamudongo, where the most of Chimpanzee tracking excursions are organised (only 20 minutes drive).
The owners, Jeanne-Francine and Eugene Rutagararama, have impressive credentials, combining hotel management with wildlife conservation and law. (Eugene is a recipient of the Goldman Environmental Prize).
To go chimp tracking, the early morning drive is only an hour. After tracking, we recommend a 1 hour transfer to Uwinka for a picnic lunch,followed by an early afternoon canopy walk.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours