Serra Cafema, on banks of the Kunene River in the extreme northwest of Namibia is probably the most remote camp in Southern Africa, and quite possibly the best.
The camp is set in a narrow strip of shady trees along the river, the only permanent source of water in the region. Behind this strip of vegetation is an arid landscape of sand dunes; to the north, across the Kunene, are the spectacular mountains of Angola.
Serra Cafema camp is ideal for those who yearn for wild places, and for the ultimate romantic escape.
Serra Cafema has recently been upgraded to a ‘premier’ camp, and this is reflected in the luxurious standard of the accommodation. There are eight extremely spacious chalets of canvas and thatch, each with en suite facilities including showers. Each has a private deck, complete with comfy hammock.
The ‘honeymoon’ chalet has fabulous views, possibly the best – but you need to book early to get this chalet. Two chalets can be used together as a family unit.
The camp has a dining room, a bar, a swimming pool and also a small ‘breakaway’ lounge to use if you wish to relax in some privacy.
You spend the days out and about in this arid landscape; exploring the dunes in a landrover or on a quad-bike trail, or boating on the river. The quad-bikes allow you to visit areas that larger vehicles cannot access, but it is done in an eco-conscious manner.
This area is the home of the Ovahimba people, nomadic cattle herders whose culture and traditions remain largely unchanged and the camp organizes sensitively conducted cultural visits to their villages.
Of course, it is also perfectly acceptable for you to relax here by the pool, and do very little!
Access is by light aircraft only. The flight from Windhoek takes 3 hours 20 mins.
Tours staying at this accommodation
- Spend time in some of the most remote camps in Namibia
- Discover the fascinating wildlife at Hoanib
- Sip sun downers on the river banks at Serra Camfema
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours