Palmwag Desert Lodge, at the gateway to the 400,000-hectare private Palmwag Reserve in northern Damaraland, is one of the region’s oldest camps.
This is an ideal stopover for those wishing to explore further into Kaokoland, Ovambuland and beyond to Epupa Falls and the Angolan border.
This reserve supports the largest population of free roaming black rhino in Africa, as well as a healthy population of desert-adapted elephant. In addition, there are a large number of giraffe, zebra, oryx and springbok; and their predators, leopard, lion, cheetah, and both brown and spotted hyenas.
Accommodation and facilities
The accommodation has been refurbished and offers 14 thatched bungalows as well as five luxury tents. There are two campsites here, two small swimming pools and a large restaurant.
Guided game drives in the concession area of Palmwag Desert Lodge offer you the opportunity to track desert elephant and rare black rhino. There are also guided walks (at extra cost).
New this year is an overnight trail into the Concession. You head out on an afternoon game drive and after sundowners and supper cooked on an open fire you bed down in dome tents. Next morning you walk back to the lodge – this takes about two hours.
Palmwag Desert Lodge also offers longer camping safaris into Kaokoland and beyond. These can be between one and 11 nights. Ask for details.
Want to know more?
Call our Travel Specialists for a chat with our experts. They'll share their first-hand insights so you can find your perfect holiday.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours