The scenery is magnificent, a mix of stark plains, ancient valleys and soaring peaks. Ten spacious tents, each with verandah and en suite facilities, provide stunning views of the valley and mountains beyond.
The central area provides dining room, lounge and bar. There is a wonderfully refreshing rock plunge pool, hidden in a tiny gorge behind the camp.
The wildlife is not abundant in this region but it is unusual and the effort of seeking it out makes sightings all the more rewarding. Nature drives and spectacular walks are the core activities and revolve around the cycles of the rare desert elephant, oryx and other species that have adapted to the harsh desert environment. Birders flock to spot specials like Ludwigs bustard, Carp's black tit and Monterios hornbill. With prior notice, we can arrange a trip for you to the renowned Twyfelfontein rock engravings or a full-day excursion to track the endangered desert-adapted Black rhino.
Community and conservation
Damaraland Camp is a partnership between Wilderness Safaris and the Damara community. The community receives ground rent and 10% of the revenue. In addition, local enterprises benefit from providing the camp with food and services. The camp employs 18 Damara staff, including three guides, and invests in training. These are a very happy, friendly staff and this is probably because they get so much out of their employment. In the years since the Damara formed a conservancy to protect their wildlife, the numbers of rare desert-adapted elephant and black rhino have increased and today, around 180,000 hectares of land are under conservancy protection.
In 2005 the World Travel and Tourism Council named Damaraland Camp as overall winner of the Tourism for Tomorrow Conservation Award. This is an award which is seeks to recognise and promote the world’s leading examples of best practice in responsible tourism.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours