La Varangue was the first boutique hotel in Antananarivo.
It occupies a fine Creole home that has been owned by one family for several generations, and takes its name from the verandah (‘varangue’ in Creole), which runs the width of the building. The public areas are decorated with antique oil lamps, lanterns, telephones, cameras and phonographs, creating a warm and cosy atmosphere. The hotel has a central location in the Antaninarenina area of the capital. It is just around the corner from the Hotel Colbert and just down the road from the presidential palace.
La Varangue has six rooms and three suites, all with en suite facilities. The five charming rooms and two suites in the original building have wooden floors and ceilings, netted beds, television, fan, telephone, WiFi, mini-bar and ‘phone. The room and vast suite in the addition to the house offer air-conditioning and lavish en suite facilities. The décor is contemporary, uncluttered and stylish. Additional amenities include a flat-screen TV, tea/coffee facilities, hair-dryer, dressing gown and slippers.
Antananarivo's best-known restaurant and a perennial favourite with our clientele. Continental breakfasts are served in the restaurant or on the delightful outdoor terrace. Or breakfast can be taken in your room (extra charge). The chic restaurant - probably the most renowned in Antananarivo - has established an enviable reputation and the presentation of each dish is superb to say the least. Dinner is by reservation and it is also advisable to book for lunch.
La Varangue has a small, lawned garden below the terrace, a rare oasis of freshness in the summer. There is a private dining room, and small sitting areas off the terrace, which is surrounded by tubs and containers of flowering plants. There is a small bar area where you can enjoy a drink.
English is spoken.
Ariary, Euros, US dollars and Visa cards are accepted.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours