Vakona Forest Lodge is family run and has been a popular choice for many years, due to its proximity to the National Parks of Andasibe and Mantadia.
It is one of four comfortable but no-frills lodges that we recommend servicing this 'must see' rainforest area.
The lodge has 28 bungalows, spread around a garden overlooking a small lake. Rooms can be set up as a double, twin or triple and there is a family bungalow for a maximum of 4 people. All are equipped with en-suite bathroom, a safe, a mini-bar and mosquito nets. A sparkling swimming pool can be enjoyed by guests during the warmer summer months (September – April). For the colder months (June to August), the rooms have radiators; there is a communal fireplace and hot-water bottles are provided.
Meals are taken in the hexagonal bar-restaurant on the edge of the lake. Breakfasts are continental and at dinner you can choose from a set menu. Food is good.
Activities & Facilities
Vakona Forest Lodge is one of the lodges that serves as a base for visiting the National Parks of Andasibe, Analamazaotra/Perinet, Maromizaha and Mantadia – you can enjoy both day and night walks with your private guide to see the amazing wildlife of the region, including numerous lemurs, chameleons, frogs, insects and birds.
A stable is set in a eucalyptus plantation if you wish to book a horse-riding excursion (Very good rates). Visits to the village of Andasibe can also be arranged, for those keen on learning about the local culture.
The lodge is north of the village of Andasibe, 7 km from the Andasibe park entrance and about 20 km south of Mantadia National Park.
Want to know more?
Call our Travel Specialists for a chat with our experts. They'll share their first-hand insights so you can find your perfect holiday.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours