'Mara Plains was the best safari of my life.'
Mara Plains Camp has six attractive, spacious, octagonal tented rooms stand on raised decks along the Ntiakatek River, barely obtruding through the tree line. Each has an enormous, comfortable double bed, chairs, generous clothes storage and ample, flexible lighting, as well as a large bathroom with double basin, mirrors, shower and flush loo. The 100% natural soap has a lovely scent. Three of the best field guides for Kenya are in your room to add to your safari experience.
When it’s warm and calm, you can enjoy a panoramic view from your tent through the floor-to-ceiling netted windows. The deck in front of each is large, with comfortable seating, and makes a great spot to enjoy watching the birds feeding in the river or the game in the plains beyond.
The meals are delicious and varied, both in substance and in setting. Juicy fresh fruits, cereals, toast and the full English cooked breakfast are on offer in the morning, with a choice of aromatic Kenyan coffee, tea or herbal infusions. Lunch is usually served outside, under the shade of the trees, and is a 3-course meal like carrot and ginger soup, fried fish and sautéed vegetables and frozen banana parfait. The chef will prepare a salad, if you prefer, or you can ask Richard for a children’s portion. Dinner may be served in the main dining area, or beyond the bonfire, overlooking the plains, to the sounds of the hippo grazing the grass as you savour your meal.
What is unusual about Mara Plains’ meals is that they are supremely flexible so that you can have the optimal safari. You can go out at dawn carrying a slice of hot buttered toast and a piece of fruit, with hot drinks and snacks on the vehicle and know that you can eat when you get back or that a meal will be brought out to the vehicle. I was surprised by the difference a hot cup of tea can make when you are watching a cheetah survey the surrounding grassland and you know she is going to hunt.
Tours staying at this accommodation
Our Great Plains Conservation safari offers sublime game-viewing with the luxuries of vast, exclusive wilderness areas, few people and some of the finest guiding and hosting Kenya has to offer. In the foothills of the Chyulus, Ol Donyo Lodge looks out over an immense landscape, inhabited by all the 'Big Five' which you can experience on day and night game drives, on foot, on horseback or on a moun...
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours