Trogon Lodge is located in the bird watching paradise of San Gerardo de Dota, an area of the cloud forest home to hundreds of different species.
Situated just 2 hours southeast of San Jose, tiny San Gerardo de Dota is reached via a narrow, twisting mountain road that leads to the valley floor of the Savegre Valley.
Surrounded by mountains and forest, this pleasant lodge is surrounded by flower filled gardens and trees. A series of wooden bungalows – each with two separate rooms, a shared verandah and a distinctive green roof – cascades down the hillside overlooking the river and forest, connected by pathways.
Accommodation is simple but comfortable – its 23 rooms all have en suite bathroom, hot water heating for chilly nights. The restaurant serves delicious hearty meals – you can even catch a trout in the pond and have it prepared for dinner. Various bird watching tours and walking tours are available (at an additional cost) on a daily basis lead by in-house naturalist guides.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours