Casa Caiman located in the southern Pantanal is a high-quality lodge in a remote part of the this vast wetland zone of Brazil. The lodge is set within a 53,000 hectare private reserve that operates as both working cattle ranch, and protected wildlife refuge. As a result of the work that has been done locally to learn about the behaviours, and protect the impact of humans on their environment, the Caiman Reserve now has some of the best jaguar spotting possibilities in Brazil.
The 18 rooms and inviting communal areas overlook the bird filled gardens whilst capybaras and caiman line the banks on the edge of the lodge grounds. There is a swimming pool and gym available for guests to use between excursions, and stays here are inclusive of all meals and guided tours. Casa Caiman include two guided options per day, with an early morning and late afternoon trip out so as to maximise your wildlife viewing opportunities. There is the option to be driven in the open sided 4x4 vehicles with a local 'Pantaneiro' and lodge guide, take a hike on foot or even explore via canoe on the nearby lake for a variety of ways to explore the region. Meals are also included in the lodge, with an extensive buffet selection offered for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as one Pantanal style BBQ offered during each stay, where local produce is cooked over open fire pits.
Casa Caiman in addition to it's included tours and excursions also runs an important jaguar habituation project called Onçafari. This project offers visitors an opportunity to learn more about the scheme to protect the environment and also track jaguars movements to increase the chance of sightings. During the high season (July to September), this is available on a shared or private basis and can be added into your stay at Caiman on one of your days based there.
Want to know more?
Call our Travel Specialists for a chat with our experts. They'll share their first-hand insights so you can find your perfect holiday.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours