Kwando Lagoon Camp lies on the shady banks of northern Botswana’s Kwando River, within sight of a resident hippo pod.
Large herds of breeding elephant and buffalo congregate in the area during the dry season (June/July to December), and the wild dog viewing at the camp is considered to be among the best in Africa.
Kwando’s relaxed approach - no set times for drives to finish, the opportunity to go off track and night drives - means that game-viewing is often action-packed and exhilarating.
The camp accommodates a maximum of 16 guests in eight traditional safari-style tents, each overlooking the water. All tents are spacious with private en-suite facilities including hot and cold running water, open showers and flush toilets.
The comfortable lounge and thatched dining area have lovely views over the waterhole and the peaceful lagoon. There is also a guest pool, ideal for cooling off in the hotter months.
Children are welcome from 8 years old; children 8 - 12 must have their own private family vehicle. Kwando Lagoon Camp offers an exceptional opportunity for families to have their own specialist family guide, with an individually tailored programme and flexible meal times. We strongly recommend this option, as it adds enormously to the quality of the safari experience for all the family.
The additional charge includes private vehicle, tracker and family safari guide. Lagoon Camp has two tented suites that can be used as a family unit with inter-leading walkway.
Tours staying at this accommodation
- Wild Dog Viewings
- Land and Water Activities
- Linyanti Rich in Predator Viewings
- Victoria Falls
Activities include, morning and night game drives in open 4WD vehicles, guided walks, boating, flying fishing and spinner fishing for bream and tiger fish. Game viewing feels particularly special as Kwando Camps never have more than six people in a vehicle and river cruises are on double-decked boats for maximum all-round visibility. Game drives have both a driver/guide and a tracker.
Wild dog have made their den near the Kwando Lagoon Cmp every year since it was established, which means that they have become very relaxed about the presence of the camp’s vehicles. You have an excellent chance of following the dogs on the hunt and witnessing, from breathtakingly close quarters, the fight for their next meal.
As well as the hippo, elephants and wild dog, there are regular sightings of giraffe, zebra, tsessebe, impala, wildebeest and waterbuck, and predators including lion, leopard, hyena and cheetah. The Kwando lions are famous for their buffalo kills and more unusually, for elephant and hippo hunts.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours