Luangwa River Camp is an intimate, contemporary safari camp on the banks of the river in Zambia’s South Luangwa National Park. The quality of the game viewing is complemented by superb guiding, perfect hosting and an astounding attention to detail.
The camp stands in a grove of ancient ebonies on the banks of the Luangwa River, overlooking one of the ox-bow lagoons, which attract huge concentrations of wildlife.
Birding is rich and varied.
Luangwa River Camp has just five beautifully designed brick and thatch bush suites, so there are never more than ten guests in camp. Each suite is individual, but all provide electric sockets, hairdryers, overhead fans in the bedroom and bathroom and fans inside the mosquito nets.
There is nothing “rustic” about the décor, all of which is locally hand-crafted. Indigenous materials have been imaginatively employed to create an atmosphere of subtle opulence and beautiful bespoke furniture.
The stunning bathrooms have double sinks, shower and an enormous double bath from which you can watch the passing wildlife. Bedroom and bathroom both have folding doors onto the private deck, which looks onto the Luangwa River and the park beyond.
Facilities at Luangwa River Camp
The sitting areas, bar and dining area stand on elevated decks for watching the magnificent sunsets or the elephants crossing the river. The pool is sunk into the deck on two levels, joined by a waterfall. A choice of holistic massages and spa treatments is available.
Luangwa River Camp offers game-viewing on game drives – it’s usually a 5-minute river crossing to the national park on the opposite bank, where your safari vehicle awaits you - game walks with armed escort and guide, boat trips and river safaris (Jan – April, water levels permitting). The elephant crossing hide is a terrific spot for photography. The guides are knowledgeable and experienced and provide a very high standard of guiding.
The camp will also arrange excursions including a visit to Tribal Textiles, a schools project or a full-day trip to the stork colony in the Nsefu sector.
Luangwa River Camp is a foodie’s delight. Meals are inspired by fresh local ingredients, infused with the scents of Africa, underpinned by the European culinary tradition. The lavish bush breakfasts and picnics are splendid. The elevated open-plan dining area is elevated to provide open views of the river and the national park.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours