Flatdogs Camp is an excellent, affordable, independent safari camp overlooking the Luangwa River in Zambia’s South Luangwa.
With a choice of chalets, comfortable safari tents and a safari house, Flatdogs attracts couples, honeymooners and families on safari to this unmatched wildlife area.
Flatdogs Camp stands in roughly 100 hectares, beside the Luangwa River, to the left of Mfuwe Bridge. It is the closest to Mfuwe Main Gate, entrance to the South Luangwa National Park.
With its natural riverside location and abundant acacia, mahogany and winterthorn trees, it’s a lovely setting enjoyed by guests - and game.
Flatdogs (the local name for crocodiles) has three two-bedroom chalets. Each provides a double room on the ground floor, a twin room with river view upstairs, and a private verandah. Each bedroom has a private bathroom, fan and mosquito net, tea/coffee facilities and a sofa.
The family chalet has three bedrooms and a private viewing deck. Alternatively, there are six safari tents are set on the bank of the river, shaded by mahogany trees. They have comfortable double or twin beds, clothes storage and en suite, open air shower, w.c. and basin.
Further into the bush and constructed around living ebony trees, Jackal-Berry Tree House provides two bedrooms, three raised decks with views over the lagoon system and a spacious sitting-room.
Facilities at Flatdogs Camp
Flatdogs Camp has a pool, a shop with crafts, safari clothes and essentials, and a games room with satellite TV, 4 guest computers and wireless internet. The ‘Dog & Gat’ bar is a friendly pub and serves as the social centre for the Luangwa Valley on a Friday night. That said, the camp is sufficiently spacious that it doesn’t intrude on your privacy.
The restaurant serves meals and snacks throughout the day. It has a good à la carte menu, daily specials and a children’s menu.
Flatdogs offers morning and evening game drives in the South Luangwa National Park, and walking safaris in the dry season (June – Oct). All game activities are conducted by a fully-qualified guide. Game drives are in 4WD safari vehicles for up to 9 guests and are usually scheduled between 6 –10 and from 4 – 8pm (The park shuts at 20:15.). Full-day game drives can be arranged on request. Your walking safari can combine a 2-hour game drive with a walk, or you could walk for a full 4 hours.
Flatdogs is a family-friendly camp and positively welcomes children.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours