- Bustling Freetown
- Inspirational work at Tacugama Chimp Sanctuary
- Bunce Island for an insight into the country's history
- Tiwai island's Upper Guinea rainforest ecosystem
- Exploring the Banana Islands
- Kicking back on beautiful Tokeh Beach
This tailor made sample itinerary showcases a lovely spectrum of Sierra Leone's highlights and has something special for most visitors: start with exploration of bustling Freetown and an excursion to Bunce Island, during which you can gain a poignant insight into the county's history.
Be inspired by the ongoing work at Tacugama Chimpanzee Sanctuary, set up by Bala Amarasekaran and his wife Sharmila, and very highly praised by Dr Jane Goodall during her February 2019 visit there.
Continue to Tiwai Island, where visitors come to seek some of the resident Upper Guinea forest inhabitants such as Western red and King colobus, Diana monkeys and Sooty mangabeys, along with West African rainforest birds including Emerald starling and Johanna's sunbird. Night walks may reveal interesting species such as the bizarre Hammerhead bats and in the trees, Demidoff's galago and even a West African potto. (Please note that the rainforest is dense and populations of wildlife are low - additionally, it tends to be skittish due to persecution by poachers).
After your time at Tiwai, return to Freetown and head out to the Banana Islands for a night of simple but well tended camping at the friendly Bafa Resort. Enjoy the relaxed island vibe here. (You can also indulge in some snorkelling, swimming and a boat trip around one of the islands).
End the trip at the sweeping, white sand beach of Tokeh, among the best of Sierra Leone's beautiful beaches.
During the holiday you will be looked after by one of our excellent and experienced driver-guides and transportation is in the form of a 4-wheel drive vehicle. Accommodation varies from very basic (Tiwai Island) to smart and modern (The Home Suites).
Day 1 London - Freetown
Day 2 Bunce Island Excursion and Freetown highlights
Day 3 To Tacugama Chimpanzee Rehabilitation Centre
Day 4 Tacugama to Tiwai Island
Day 5 Tiwai Island
Day 6 Tiwai Island - Freetown - Banana Islands
Day 7 Banana Islands to Tokeh
Day 8 Tokeh Beach to Freetown
Day 9 Departure (reluctantly)
Day 10 Welcome Home
- Return International Flights as per the itinerary
- All airport taxes and security charges
- Accommodation and meals as specified
- Transfers as specified
- Activities and excursions as specified
- All entrace fees on sightseeing tours as specified
- Travel Insurance
- Any meals not specified in the itinerary
- Tips and gratuities
- Optional excursions
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours