Sand Rivers has a breathtaking location on the banks of the Rufiji, Tanzania’s largest river. The lodge sleeps 16 guests in open fronted, thatched cottages, with splendid views over the river and surrounding bush.
It has a reputation for exceptional standards of guiding, which you experience during day and night drives and game walks.
Sand Rivers is known for boat safaris, including the stunning, 100-metre-deep Stiegler’s Gorge, and for walking safaris with excellent fly-camping.
Camp in the wild, with only your guide or “Askari” to watch over your make-shift room on the river bank.
It is exhilarating going to sleep with a sheer mosquito net between you and elements, while listening to the sound of hippos grunting in the waters and the eerie nightjar calling or the cacophony of laughing hyena’s on the hunt. An unforgettable adventure in Tanzania.
Tours staying at this accommodation
- Remote and exclusive accommodation
- Search for the famous tree climbing Lions in the Selous
- Barefoot luxury at the remote and intimate Fundu Lagoon
- Free night included
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours