Grande Roche is a 5-star hotel set on an historic wine estate, 40 minutes from Cape Town and 90 minutes from Hermanus.
Considered the 'pearl of Paarl', the Grande Roche, together with its farmland, have been declared a national monument.
Today, Grande Roche is a luxury hotel on a working wine estate, which was founded in the 18th century, and is known for its exceptional service and fine dining at Bosman’s Restaurant.
Set on top of a hill, the hotel offers panoramic views over the Winelands. Close by, there are several award-winning smaller wine estates such as Glen Carlow and Fairview.
At the same time, it is only a short walk to the local restaurants, antique shops and coffee shops in the restored older quarter of town, with its superb Cape Dutch and Victorian buildings.
Gourmet food and wine
Bosman's, the hotel’s award-winning restaurant, is one of world’s best and offers eclectic gourmet fare, relying heavily on fresh local produce, much of it provided by the estate. The kitchen can cater for almost every diet, and specialises in gourmet vegetarian food. Bosman’s has also won an array of awards for its wine list, including Wine magazine’s Top Wine List award in 2005.
There are six executive rooms and 29 suites. Each provides the amenities you would expect from an hotel of this class, including fresh flowers, fruit bowl, internet connection, dressing gowns and slippers, and Molton Brown bath products. The honeymoon suite occupies its own building, complete with private patio and rooftop sun terrace. The duplex suites, in what were originally the slave quarters, are suitable for families. The terrace suites are among the most popular rooms, because each has its own sun terrace.
The health centre has a sauna, massage facilities, steam room, and a gym. Other facilities include the business centre, two tennis courts and two swimming pools. The hotel offers day tours on its own Harley Davidson bikes. There are 14 golf courses within easy reach!
We really enjoyed the private wine-tasting hosted by one of the Grande Roche’s impressive, friendly sommeliers. We were presented with a selection of wines from the area and treated to a highly informative and unpretentious discussion of their flavours, the grapes and the landscapes that influence them. Most of the wines we sampled were reasonably priced, too.
The historic chapel, with its 19th century pedal organ, is a lovely setting for weddings. Ask us about getting married at the Grande Roche.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours