Jan Harmsgat Country House enjoys an enviable location in a beautiful valley between Swellendam and Ashton in the Klein Karoo.
First established in 1723, the farms original slave quarters have been converted to make four spacious bedrooms, with an adjoining lounge and library. The rooms are comfortably furnished in traditional Overberg style. Two are loft rooms, with panoramic mountain views. This is an owner-run operation, and the present owners, Brin and Judi, are descended from the family which has farmed here for generations.
Previously a wine farm, today the orchards are laden with oranges, nuts and olives. The farm also provides a refuge for a fair amount of indigenous wildlife, such as springbuck, grey rheebuck, ostriches and black wildebeest.
Activities & Facilities
Visit historic Swellendam, relax by the pool, perhaps with a book from the extensive library, explore the 680 hectare farm, or walk in the foothills of the Langeberg Mountains. This is the place to enjoy an authentic South African country experience.
Jan Harmsgat is one of the very few South African guesthouses to have been awarded certification as a Fair Trade in tourism establishment. The staff are drawn from the local community, and owners Brin and Judi have established an extensive training programme to equip them to run the guesthouse. In addition, Judi has helped to set up a community project in nearby Swellendam, turning the old jail house into a coffee shop.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours