Tuningi Safari Lodge is a 5-star property situated in the western side of the Madikwe Game Reserve, accommodating up to 16 guests in separate villas.
The four luxury villas and two family suites each have air conditioning and fans, as well as out-door shower and deck that overlook the surrounding bush. The two-bedroom family suites also have a lounge, kitchenette and dining area. One of the family suites and nearby villa can be booked separately, and as ‘Little Tuningi’ function as a self-contained private lodge with its own boma area and private pool.
The décor is a chic mix of Colonial and African with many nice features like an open fireplace, rim flow pool and deck that overlooks a waterhole. Dinners are served in the main lounge or under an ancient fig tree in the traditional boma. Some of the wildlife highlights of this area include the big-five and endangered wild dog. Game viewing is by open top 4x4 safari vehicles and experts can take you on short guided bush walks, where you focus on discovering the smaller animals, birds, insects and flora in the area around the lodge.
The Madikwe area is malaria free and Tuningi staff go out of their way to make younger guests especially welcome too. Meals can be tailored to specific needs and kids have a special private dinner where they make their own traditional treats like bread on a stick with a chef.
While adults and older children enjoy the afternoon game drive, younger guests are kept busy with bush tales and treasure hunting for bush treasures like nests, bones, and snakes skins. Younger kids can join a special safari ‘bumble’ to a waterhole, complete with work book, and can earn a Tuningi Safari Lodge Bush Experience certificate.
Tours staying at this accommodation
This safari in the malaria-free Madikwe Game Reserve at child-friendly Tuningi Safari Lodge, offers a variety of activities to keep children of all ages entertained, from in-house toys and games, scheduled activities with enthusiast naturalists and short game drives. Cape Town also has lots to offer families with its beautiful beaches, the Aquarium and the chance to spot penguins at Boulders Be...
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours