Buffalo Ridge Safari Lodge is a small luxury lodge on the western side of the malaria-free Madikwe Game Reserve, home to the Big-Five.
Its location, in the transition zone between the separate eco-systems of the lowveld bushveld and the Kalahari thornveld, means that visitors have the opportunity to encounter an unusually diverse variety of wildlife.
The lodge is set on the slopes of a hill, and each of the eight chalets has uninterrupted views across the northern plains and the distinctive volcanic intrusions, known as the Inselbergs. The main lodge occupies a spectacular location on two tiers of the Tweedepoort Ridge, which is reached via a wooden bridge that stretches dramatically over the ravine.
The eight thatched suites are positioned on the ridge and designed around the breathtaking views. The chalets are decorated in traditional muted African tones and each has a viewing deck, with long views across Madikwe’s stunning landscape. The suites have sliding patio doors and an outdoor shower on the deck, linking the lodge with the bushveld.
The lodge has an exclusive but friendly atmosphere. There are two decks on which to drink a sundowner and survey the wildlife on the plains below, a tranquil lounge area, the dining area and a swimming pool.
Buffalo Ridge was the first 100% community-owned safari camp in South Africa. The lodge is an ecotourism partnership and the Balete Ba Lekgophung community owns a 45-year lease to operate the lodge with traversing rights across the reserve. This benefits the community and also contributes to the unique atmosphere at Buffalo Ridge.
Tours staying at this accommodation
- Big five safari in a non-malarial reserve
- light aircraft flight to Madikwe
- 7 nights all inclusive in Mauritius
Buffalo Ridge is on the western side of Madikwe Game Reserve in the North West Province of South Africa, close to the Botswana border and Gaborone. There is a 45 minute daily air transfer which departs OR Tambo Johannesburg airport. A road transfer from Johannesburg would take approxiamately 3.5 - 4 hours.
Buffalo Ridge is an excellent walking and open vehicle safari destination. Game drives, bush walks, birding, tracking, stargazing and bush dining are among the activities on offer.
Madikwe Game Reserve has over 13,000 animals in its 76,000 hectares and is home to an incredible variety of flora and fauna. Black and white rhino roam the reserve, along with buffalo, lion, leopard, elephant, wild dog and cheetah. The only animal you won't find is the mosquito - Madikwe is 100% malaria-free. The reserve is ideal for both walking and vehicle safaris and, because Buffalo Lodge is run by the community, their rangers’ knowledge of the local wildlife is exceptional.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours