Three Tree Hill Lodge overlooks Spioenkop battlefield, near Ladysmith. Its wood and iron construction is designed to resemble the housing kits brought out from Britain in the 19th century. Spioenkop is perhaps the most famous battle of the Anglo-Boer war; it was certainly the bloodiest. The British lost around 600 troops in a futile and misguided attempt to take this hill.
The lodge is the product of a partnership between the late David Rattray and owner Andrew Ardington, whose grandfather took part in the siege of Ladysmith. It is named after the hill on which General Sir Charles Warren had his HQ during the battle.
Each of the six spacious twin cottages (double beds available on request) has its own large verandah, with magnificent views of Spioenkop – even from the bath.
The lodge has a comfortable lounge and a large, colonial verandah, where meals are often served. The verandah overlooks Spioenkop Game Reserve, so you might spot a white rhino or giraffe. The decked swimming pool provides another setting for relaxation.
Andrew will take you on a tour of the battlefield and recount the dramatic story of Spioenkop, the bloodiest battle of the Anglo-Boer war. In the afternoon, he can take you to the site of Winston Churchill’s capture and the Battle of Colenso, where the British suffered the first defeat in their attempt to relieve Ladysmith.
The lodge is also an excellent base for exploring nearby Ladysmith, with its quirky and fascinating Siege Museum, as well as several other Boer War sites. There are many opportunities for horse riding, and for gaining insight into waging a battle with Victorian technology. The Drakensberg Mountains are close by, and several golf courses within an hour’s drive.
Tours staying at this accommodation
- Hike and explore the magical Drakensburg
- Delve in the history of the Battlefields
- Cruise on the Pongola River
- Search for big game in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours