Isandlwana Lodge has a spectacular setting high up against Nyoni Rock, where the Zulu commander stood during the Battle of Isandlwana, a defining battle in the history of South Africa.
You look straight across the battlefield where 1200 British soldiers met their end at the hands of the Zulu army.
This luxurious lodge is built of stone, glass and thatch, and the decoration is a pleasing combination of traditional and modern styles. Food and hospitality are first-class. Each bedroom has a balcony overlooking some of the most breathtaking scenery in Zululand.
Resident historian and gifted raconteur Rob Gerrard leads tours of both Isandlwana and Rorke’s Drift. Horse trails offer the rare chance to ride through open country as far as the eye can see.
The lodge is set in a landscape dotted with small Zulu farms. You can walk in these communal lands and the lodge will arrange cultural tours, visiting villages in the area or in remote Qhudeni.
The lodge is rooted in the local community. The local traditional authority was delighted by the prospect of having a tourist lodge close to their village, and the Isandlwana Community Tribal Trust was established to channel funds into the local community for schools, health facilities etc. The Trust receives a percentage of the lodge’s turnover and owns up to 10% of the shares in the lodge. Twenty three villagers are employed at the lodge.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours