Hartford House is one of South Africa’s most beautiful houses.
It was home to the family of the last prime minister of Natal and is situated in the beautiful rolling countryside of Summerhill, the country’s leading racehorse stud farm, and just two hours’ drive from Durban, in the foothills of the Drakensberg.
There are 14 spacious, luxurious suites, furnished in a skilful blend of traditional, African and contemporary styles, four of which are situated by a picturesque trout lake and have private pools.
The restaurant is renowned for its fine cuisine and both restaurant and wine cellar have won awards.
It is the tradition, history and hospitality that sets Hartford apart... this is a historic home which has evolved into a hotel.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours