Fordoun Spa Hotel is a boutique hotel and world-class spa located at Nottingham Road in the heart of the KwaZulu Natal Midlands Meander.
The hotel's spa offers an extensive choice of treatments, but the unique aspect of a stay here is the well-known ethnobotanist and spiritual guide or sangoma, Dr Elliot Ndlovu, who offers consultations using traditional African herbs and plants, as well as addressing more spiritual issues.
The original 19th century dairy farm buildings have been meticulously adapted to provide fine accommodation and state-of-the-art spa and leisure facilities, while preserving an atmosphere of tranquillity. The 17 individual suites are luxuriously equipped, each with a private verandah.
Complimentary facilities include a heated swimming pool (with Jet Swim, in–pool Jacuzzi, and massaging jets), flotation tank (with underwater music), sauna, steam room and gym. The Fordoun Spa team includes a personal trainers, masseurs, beauticians and nutritionist. The herbalist and ethnobotanist, Dr Elliot Ndlovu, is a sangoma (spiritual healer) and inyanga (medicinal healer) and is director of Fordoun Spa. Among the extensive range of treatments are Thalassotherapy seaweed treatments, rasul and aromatherapy. The couples' suite features a double hydrotherapy bath.
The spa was a finalist in 'Les Nouvelles Esthetiques Spa Awards' 2005.
In addition to the walking trails and mountain bike trails on the farm, there is superb fly-fishing on the farm’s two dams and (in season) the nearby Bushman's River. Rods are available for hire and John Vynne is available for guided fishing. Hot air ballooning, forest canopy tours, cultural tours and golf are additional attractions.
Tours staying at this accommodation
- Hike and explore the magical Drakensburg
- Delve in the history of the Battlefields
- Cruise on the Pongola River
- Search for big game in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours