Cathedral Peak Hotel is an established resort hotel beautifully set in a quiet valley among the rugged peaks of the Central Drakensberg.
Since it first opened in 1939, the owner’s family has provided warm hospitality and exceptional service, and the hotel has won numerous awards, including the 2006 ‘Best Leisure Hotel’ award. With its exceptional mountain scenery, abundant birdlife and plant species, and rock art sites, Cathedral Peak is an excellent choice for an active family holiday. The secluded setting, in a valley where San people once hunted, is perfect for a romantic holiday.
Cathedral Peak offers a wide choice of rooms. We recommend the individually decorated executive/honeymoon rooms, which are set in lovely gardens. Each has a large four-poster bed, underfloor heating and spa bath. There are also deluxe family suites, as well as deluxe interleading rooms. All hotel rooms provide tea/coffee making facilities, heaters, telephones, televisions and en-suite bathrooms with both bath and shower. Each room has a private verandah with magnificent mountain views.
The hotel organises many activities including guided and self-guided walks. A long day’s guided climb from the hotel (only fitness needed) will take you to the famous peak; or walk in the mountains and find San rock paintings. Try the special mountain-biking and jogging trails, go horse-riding, play a game of tennis or simply relax with a fishing rod. Enjoy a round of golf on the 9-hole golf course (par 70) and savour the mountain scenery from the club house terrace. Indoors, there is a fully equipped gym, steam bath and spa facilities.
Cathedral Peak Hotel is affiliated to BirdLife South Africa. The rafting season is October/November and April/May and there are daily trips in season. Four Rivers Rafting is about 45 minutes away and the rapids are graded between 1 and 5. There is also an introductory quad bike trail, as well as longer quad bike trips into the Drakensberg foothills. The San Rock Art Interpretatation Centre is about 500m down the road from the hotel. KwaZulu Weavers, where the ancient art of African weaving is practised and taught to the next generation, is about 45 minutes drive from Cathedral Peak.
Facilities at this resort hotel include tennis, squash, heated and unheated swimming pools, golf and mini-golf, bowling green, fully equipped gym, steam bath and beauty therapist.
This is a family-friendly resort and provides a playground, jumping castle, heated paddling pool and pony rides for children. There is a separate children’s dining room for younger children.
Getting to Cathedral Peak Hotel
The hotel is 250 km north of Durban, off the main N3 - the drive takes 3+ hours.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours