Arathusa is a relaxed and intimate lodge in a tranquil setting by a lake, which serves as waterhole in the game-rich Sabi Sand Wildlife Reserve.
Arathusa Safari Lodge is relatively inexpensive, yet provides all you would expect from a high quality lodge, including very good food, a friendly staff and excellent game viewing. It has proved to be a popular choice for everyone, and especially honeymooners.
Arathusa’s traversing area contains a mixture of habitats, including open savannah, riverine thicket and dense bush. The northern Sabi Sand is an excellent area for leopard, so you should not normally be disappointed. The rangers and trackers are dedicated, passionate and knowledgeable, which makes the game drives both fascinating and exciting. The traversing area is 5500 hectares, shared with four other lodges, so although you will see the occasional vehicle, it does not feel particularly ‘busy’ when you are out. You may be joined by one other vehicle in a sighting. The camp is unfenced, so wildlife can often be seen at the waterhole, and sometimes strolling through the camp!
The ten thatched chalets are constructed along the large lake, each with its own veranda offering an excellent view of the water. Hippos live in the lake, and animals are constantly coming to drink. The bathrooms have a bath as well as a shower (both indoor and outdoor), and the spacious, air-conditioned rooms are equipped with the usual amenities. Arathusa has a good-size swimming pool, overlooking the waterhole.
Getting to Arathusa Safari Lodge
It is possible to drive right in to Arathusa; the drive is about three hours from Nelspruit, or 90 minutes from Hoedspruit; the last hour is on unmade roads through rural villages, and then through the reserve itself. Alternatively, there is a charter flight from Johannesburg right into the lodge, or air transfers from Nelspruit, as well as road transfers from most locations in the Lowveld.
Arathusa accepts children aged 12 and over.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours