Those who remark that the game reserves of the Eastern Cape are not wild enough should come here, to the remote expanse of the Great Karoo. Samara private game reserve is enormous – 28,000 hectares – and the game viewing against the backdrop of the Karoo mountains is quite exceptional.
KAROO LODGE is a stylish restoration of an old farmhouse with wide verandahs, furnished with fine antiques. There are three suites in the main building, and another three separate suites built to resemble the original farmhouse. The design is a skilful blend of Victorian, African and contemporary. Add gracious service, delicious cuisine and fine wines – little wonder that Samara was recently voted one of Tatler’s ‘Top 101 Hotels in the World’. For the ultimate in luxury and total privacy, the MANOR AT SAMARA and the MOUNTAIN RETREAT are for the exclusive use of up to ten guests. Game drives climb into the Sneeuberg Mountains behind the lodge and up onto the high plateau grasslands – a lost world where herds of Black wildebeest, oryx, blesbok, eland, Red hartebeest and springbok graze as Black eagles soar overhead. These open plains make ideal hunting country for cheetah, which thrive up here. Also in evidence is the rare Cape Mountain zebra and smaller mammals include jackals, aardvark and spring hares.
Samara is less than an hour’s drive from Graaff-Reinet, and three hours drive from Port Elizabeth.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours