Tambopata Research Centre (TRC) is the most remote eco lodge in South America and approximately 7 hours by boat upriver from Puerto Maldonado. Your first night will be spent at Rainforest Expeditions, Refugio Amazonas lodge followed by a minimum of 3 nights at TRC.
The TRC lodge is built from traditional materials such as wood, palm fronds and clay and features 18 bedrooms with private bathrooms and a common area for dining. The bedrooms are separated by light cane walls and whilst private are not soundproof. All rooms are open onto the rainforest enabling you to experience the unique ecosystem from your hammock. Hot water showers are available and the electricity generator is turned on once a day allowing guests to recharge cameras. In the evenings relax in the dining room and bar with lamps and candles enhancing the remote feel.
Within the 700,000 hectare reserve, wildlife viewings are spectacular. The uninhabited wilderness of the Tambopata National Reserve and nearby Bahajua-Sonene National Park houses large populations of endangered wildlife. Enhacing your in depth exploration of this pristine area you will be joined by one of the on-site expert naturalist guides. The largest known clay-lick in the Amazon is just 500 yards from the lodge. Watch the macaws and enjoy the cacophony of noise as they congregate around the clay-lick for nutrients. Explore the nearby habitats by foot or climb the small jungle tower for a great view of the palm swamp with its blue and gold macaws.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours