Sossusvlei Desert Lodge is a small, exclusive & Beyond-run lodge in the northern foothills of the vast, 180,000 hectare, privately owned Namib-Rand Nature Reserve on the eastern boundary of the Namib-Naukluft National Park.
This desert wilderness is home to a surprising variety of animals which thrive in this environment, including oryx, springbok, aardwolf, ostrich, hyena, bat-eared fox, Cape fox, Burchell’s zebra and Hartemann’s mountain zebra.
Sossusvlei Desert Lodge has 10 sophisticated, split-level suites with a shaded deck overlooking the Namib Desert. Built of stone and glass, the spacious suites are set well apart to ensure privacy and reflect the isolation of the desert. Each has a fireplace for winter evenings and air-conditioning for the heat of summer. Rooms have en suite facilities and an outdoor shower. A star-viewing window is set above the bed and there is a personal compact telescope for observing game or the stars.
From the main lodge, lounges, a terrace and viewing deck afford panoramic views of the desert landscape. Delectable meals are served in the airy dining room. Additional facilities include a swimming pool supplied by an underground spring from deep within the desert and the observatory equipped with the second most powerful electronic telescope in Namibia, providing incredible stargazing.
On morning and evening nature drives in open 4WDs, guests discover the grass plains and sand dunes of the reserve. There are guided walks and marked walking trails for independent exploration. Field guides will reveal the southern skies - the dry desert air and powerful telescope provide exceptional opportunities to observe the cosmos.
Optional extras at Sossusvlei Desert Lodge include a hot-air balloon trip over the Namib; guided 4WD trips to Sossusvlei or Sesriem Canyon; and ATV (quad-bike) excursions.
Children are welcome at Sossusvlei Desert Lodge. One unit can take an extra bed for a child. Children of 5 and under cannot participate in scheduled safari activities.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours