Canon Lodge is in a beautiful setting just 20 km from the main viewpoint of the Fish River Canyon National Park.
Canon Lodge is inside the 100,000 hectare private Gondwana nature reserve, formed ten years ago by an amalgamation of several overgrazed sheep farms. Gradually, the land has returned to its natural state. A 1904 farmhouse has been restored to serve as the restaurant, bar and lounge. There is a swimming pool.
In the harsh environment of southern Namibia, Canon Lodge grows its own vegetables, raises livestock and makes cheese. This is reflected in the hearty helping of tasty fresh food.
Canon Lodge has 30 bungalows, constructed from natural materials. Each thatched, en suite bungalow is comfortably furnished and integrates the natural boulders into the walls. Cool to the touch and rounded by eons of erosion, they provide a link to the natural surroundings - the bungalows were designed to make you feel at one with nature whilst enjoying a comfortable stay.
There are sunrise and sundowner walks, and night walks under the starry skies of the southern hemisphere. You can experience the canyon landscape on horseback, or see it beneath you on a flight over the canyon. Guided hikes can be organised on request. Sundowner drives in the Gondwana Cañon Park nature reserve provide an opportunity to learn about the geology and flora of the area.
The owners offer additional accommodation at the Cañon Roadhouse, just outside the Fish River Conservation Area. The eight individually decorated en suite rooms - including two large family rooms - are set around an inner courtyard. The restaurant serves delicious meals and is open all day and a large terrace provides for al fresco dining on summer nights. The large swimming pool and sundeck are tucked in between indigenous succulents such as hoodias and aloes.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours