On the Mozambique shores of Lake Niassa is the hand-built Nkwichi Lodge, aptly named after the 600 metre private sugar white sand beach.
This lodge offers a unique chance to explore an unspoilt, remote corner of real Africa in a well-planned self-sufficient property and is ideal for those wanting to get away from it all during their Mozambique holiday.
The main lodge is a double story open plan thatched structure. The ground floor has a small library, curio shop and reception. The first floor is where the various sitting/relaxation areas are with the dining room and bar to give you the maximum benefit of the view over the lake.
There are only six individually crafted chalets and two private houses, one sleeping 4 and the other 6 people. With thatched roofs, the open plan bedrooms are designed to catch the breezes from the lake so the rooms are naturally cooled. Built with naturally sourced materials, the main features are the large four-poster bed, baths carved into the boulders and the private dining area.
The entire property is powered by a state of the art solar system aided by paraffin lanterns and candles during dinner and for moonlight baths. Videos, cameras, mobile phones can be charged in the main area. Brief emails may be sent and received via the satellite internet system and 20 minutes from the lodge at an incredible view point you will be able to obtain a mobile signal.
Your days will be spent exploring on foot, canoes and sailing dhows and also, lazing in a hammock above a secluded cove. There are no televisions but the lodge does boast one of the largest pools in Africa, a fresh water lake which is located only metres from each chalet and is filled with brightly coloured tropical fish. There is a sun shade on the main beach and a good variety of beach equipment for swimming and snorkelling activities.
Tours staying at this accommodation
This is a wonderful combination of a safari in Zambia's adventurous South Luangwa National Park topped off with the laid-back charm of Nkwichi, set beside the clear blue waters of Mozambique's Lake Niassa. This is definitely a honeymoon for those who love to do something very different. Stay at Kapani Lodge, where you get right up close to the African bush. There are two game activities each day ...
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours